Physical therapy addresses abnormal physical function related to an injury, disease, disability, or condition. The treatment is carried over by trained healthcare professionals who can diagnose physical abnormalities, help restore physical function and mobility, and maintain physical function. Furthermore, physical therapy can help promote physical activity and proper function.
People of all ages who have medical conditions can benefit from physical therapy. So, what can you expect from a physical therapist?
A physical therapist will assist you in all phases of healing — from the diagnosis to the preventative stages of recovery. You can have physical therapy alone or have it along with other treatments. In most cases, physical therapy is recommended by physicians but there are others who seek the help of a physical therapist on their own.
When you go to a physical therapist, you will undergo a physical exam and evaluation. There will be several tests done that will help the physical therapist evaluate the best treatment for your condition. Once the initial diagnosis is made, the plan of care along with the short and long term goals will be discussed.
When these are all set up, you will receive physical therapy treatment and intervention based on condition and diagnosis.
Physical therapists can treat various medical conditions, such as:
- Hand therapy for conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cardiopulmonary conditions
- Musculoskeletal dysfunction
- Neurological conditions
- Pediatric conditions
- Sports-related injuries
- Women’s health
In some cases, physical therapy can help treat wounds, burns, and diabetic ulcers.
Benefits of Physical Therapy
There are many benefits that you can get from physical therapy such as:
• Helps reduce or eliminate pain – specific physical therapy exercises and techniques such as joint and soft tissue mobilization can help relieve pain and restore muscle and joint function. There are also some treatments that can prevent pain from returning.
• Helps avoid surgery – if you can heal from an injury or eliminate pain from physical therapy, then there’s a good chance that you no longer need surgery.
• Helps improve mobility – for people who have trouble walking, moving, and standing, physical therapy can help through the stretching and strengthening exercises that can help restore the ability to move.
• Helps recover or prevent sports injury – physical therapists can design specific recovery or prevention exercise programs that can guarantee to heal.
• Helps improve balance and falls – for patients who are at high-risk for falls, a physical therapist may recommend specific exercises that can help improve coordination and recommend assistive devices for safer walking.
There are a lot of benefits to physical therapy, and a physical therapist can recommend the most appropriate treatment for your condition. If you’re looking for urgent care physical therapy, you’ll find quite a lot of choices in New Jersey.
However, since this is about personal health, it’s crucial to choose a physical therapist that will suit your specific needs. One effective way to do this is to ask your doctor for a referral. Another thing would be to do research online and find a therapist with good reviews.
If you’re in Secaucus in New Jersey, we’re a well-known provider of urgent care physical therapy. Get in touch with us to see how we can help.